History of Lamplighter Inn
The building where Lamplighter Inn is located today was built in the late 1850s. The first floor (now the basement of Lamplighters) was partly below grade level and was used as a meeting hall at times. In the rear of the building at an outside entrance was a barbershop owned by George Kuebler. The second floor, up a few steps from the ground, housed a bakery. The third, or present second floor, was a large meeting hall. It was here that the Masonic Lodge was organized in 1859. The Masons' purchased the top floor in 1885 and a few years later purchased the entire building. In the early 1900s, the first floor was lower and is now the basement of the building. During the Civil War and until 1868 the older school children attended classes here while the lower grades remained in a one-story building on Wood Street, which was replaced in 1868 by a two-story wood school building that eventually housed all of the students.